(See FIRST and SECOND GENERATION - Long Island Branch)

(See THIRD GENERATION - Beekmantown Branch)

FOURTH GENERATION: - or fifth in line.

DOMINY, JEREMIAH (1) - Born August 22, 1789. Died January 31, 1865, age 76 years. MARRIED - in 1810, to ABAGAIL NORTON - Born August 19, 1794. Died September 16, 1830, age 36 years. CHILDREN:DELTUNE - Born in 1811. Died in 1825, age 14 years. JAMES born in 1812. Died in 1812. HENRY (4) Born November 16, 1813. Died February 8, 1905. Married Harriett Barlow. ELIZABETH - born November 5, 1815. Died May 6, 1868. Married (?). ALVIN and ALMOND, twins - Born November 4, 1817. ALVIN died March 31, 1875. Married first Mary Ann Barlow, second - Louisa L. Allen. ALMOND died December 3, 1882. Married Rachel Cook. EZRA - Born September 9, 1819. Died July 8, 1845. Married Hester Ann Beach. NANCY Born in 1821. Died in Minnesota. Married Doctor Willie Twiford. SILAS - Born September 20, 1823. Died April 3, 1858, age 35 years. Married Catherine Biglow. JOHN - Born in 1825. Died in Nebraska. Married Martha Scribner. ABAGAIL - Born September 9, 1830. Died November 30, 1845, age 15 years.

SECOND MARRIAGE - May 13, 1832 to TAMSON GANDY - Born April 24, 1809. Died March 30, 1884, age 75 years. CHILDREN:- PHOEBE - Born May 1, 1833. Died May 16, 1889, age 56 years. Married Daniel Biglow. MARTHA - Born in 1835. Died in Dayton, Ohio. Married Henry H. Imes. ELECTA - Born August 7, 1837. Died August 7, 1852, age 15 years. MALISSA - Born in 1839. Died in 1902, age 63 years. Married Lemuel Marshall. JASPER - Born December 4, 1841 Died January 23, 1877. Age 36 years. Married (?).

Four children died in infancy, names and births unknown.
RESIDENT: - Darby Township, Pleasant Valley, (Now Plain City, Madison County, Ohio).

He moved with his parents from Three Mile Harbor, (known as DOMINY'S POINT), Suffolk County, Long Island, to Beekmantown, Clinton County, New York, in 1796.

In his early manhood days, he had the lust for adventure. The Legislature of his state, in 1794, authorized the building of the great Genesee Road, connecting the Mohawk Valley Road on the east with the Niagara on the west, stretching across the state. It opened up and provided an important communication link for the thriving settlers and hardy pioneers pushing into the Ohio country in the North West Territory.

After his marriage to ABAGAIL NORTON, he and his wife, and her parents (Mr. and Mrs. James Norton), started on their westward course in 1810, with their axes, two yoke of oxen, two cows (to supply milk for the children), four horses, two wagons, and their rifles with a store of ammunition. This was considered the necessary equipment of that day, for them and their families.

Assured of land of exuberant fertility providing amply for their wants, they pushed on, regardless of their fatigue, through unexplored regions and tangled forest, guiding themselves by the sun only, reposing at night on the bare ground. One stood guard while the other slept.

They crossed numberless streams with their wives, children, and luggage, on rafts made of grape vines and logs woven together, drifting considerably before landing could be affected on the opposite shore. To their trouble was added impending danger of being murdered while asleep by prowling Indians.

They denied themselves the comfort of fire and light so they could not be easily detected in the darkness when night was on.

After about a year of this hazardous journey they landed at Worthington, Ohio, late in the fall of 1811; there residing with the family of Mr. Buell until they could purchase their farms and build their cabins thereon.

Jeremiah and his father-in-law (JAMES NORTON) purchased about 300 acres of land in what is now Darby Township, Madison County, Ohio, (although at that time the county had not been organized,) which was a part of the north-west quarter of Franklin, from Daniel Sullivant for one dollar and a quarter per acre.

This land was all in virgin forest, without a stick of timber being cleared therefrom. His purchase was then about a 100 acres of land. He had no tools and only five dollars in money left. He built his tools to farm with, also his cabin of round logs 18 x 28 feet. In one end was a large fire-place, being built of mud, logs, and stick chimney for the smoke and fire to find its egress through the roof. This fire-place was used not only for heat but to do cooking in, such as baking corn pone and wheat bread on a white ash or white oak boards before the fire, also a large crane swung outward to hang the kettles on for cooking their meals. This chimney was daubed with mud from four to six inches thick to protect the logs from fire. The cabin was chinked and daubed also with mud.

This cabin consisted of one room which was used for all purposes, greased paper was pasted over apertures in the walls which served as windows and admitted light poorly.

There was no floor therein, but as his family grew he improved his log cabin. To better its condition, he added sleeping quarters on one side for the children, puncheon floors were provided.

It was on a bleak night in January 1830, that they were awakened to find their home in flames. To rescue the children, they had to be taken out through the windows in their night clothes. Freezing cold and with two feet of snow on the ground, they were forced to travel a distance of two miles to the nearest neighbor for night shelter.

He could have purchased land between Worthington and the site on which the city of Columbus now stands for from two to three dollars per acre, but assumed that was too high in value for that day.

He made shoes for his neighbors and followed coopering for a time. "I have played many days upon his old shoe bench, handled the old wooden lasts he used to turn the shoes and boots on to be made -what an antique for today." These added to his income, as his financial resources increased, he extended the boundaries of his holdings until he owned about 1200 acres, being numbered among the most prosperous agriculturists of his community.

He made all the plows used in that section of the state, being able to do anything in the mechanical line owing to his splendid ability in that direction. This gave him an opportunity in that day to be called upon to lend a hand to needy pioneers.

He served for a short time in the War of 1812, but I have been unable to find out what outfit it was. "I have in my possession a sword made of hickory which he used to drill with," but, in my research I have been unable to make our records - so they will deal more definitely upon this matter.

I have also in my possession his old cradle, the snath of which is made of natures growth. I've seen Grandfather swing it many a day in the ripened grain, when a boy, raking it into bundles to be bound by hand. It now is in the Ohio Archeological Museum on the Ohio State University grounds, in the name of the family.

He was tax collector of the township for a number of years, also one of the first United States Revenue Collectors of that day, riding his district on horse back collecting revenue from various distilleries in the manufacturing of whiskey, with headquarters at Chillicothe, Ohio.

For twenty years he was Justice-of-the-Peace, and one of the influential men of his community. He was a Presbyterian by faith. In politics he was an old line Whig, and became the father of twenty children.

In 1893, when I first came to Dublin to vote, this was my first ballot - was under the Australian System, at that time, was for William McKinley for Governor.

I also courted my true love! who later became my wife, (Miss Anna May Mitchell). The Old pioneer residents - would say to me! "You resemble your Great grand-father in height, but, not in weight", (Jeremiah Dominy, who was a frequent visitor to the village.)

They stated that the horse Jeremiah rode was the worst swayback horse they had ever seen! When he would mount it seemed like its back would sag down, unable to carry the load.

He would have 6 or 8 saddle blankets under the saddle on old Nell's back, as he called her, to keep his saddle-bags from resting too heavy upon her withers; also to keep his feet from dragging in the mud on Post Road State route No. 161, also U.S. route No-33) coming to Dublin.

Looking through some of the old Justice's-of-the-Peace early records, I have in my possession, I found this clause that might be of interest to the family. In the early pioneer days there were very few Criminal cases, the most being of a Civil nature as noted in the following action taken:


Suit brought on a note filed which reads: "DARBY, July 10, 1846. one day after date for value Received I promised to pay to Jeremiah Dominy or order, Seven Dollars and Eighty-seven cents witness my band

David Mitchell."

Endorsement - October 30, 184E Received on the within note $4.
Received May 27, 1848. $3.

Fee - Sums - 12¢ Inds at - 12¢ Execution - 25¢

October 9, 1848. Summons for appearance of said Defendant on the 14th day of October 1848 at 10 o'clock A.M. delivered to D. Mathny, Constable.

October 11, 1848. Summons returned personally served by reading. Service - 10¢. Milage - 10¢. D. Mathny, Constable.

October 23, 1848 A.D. The defendant failed to appear, therefore by his default: It is considered by me that the Plaintiff receive of the defendant the sum of one Dollar and Thirty Seven cents and his cost herein taxed at Forty four cents. Constable fees Ser Sum - 10¢. Milage - 10¢ Ser Exect - 20¢. Milage - 10¢. Per Ext - 8c. Cost paid

November 22, 1848. Issued an execution and delivered the same to D. Mathny, Constable.

December 5, 1848. Execution returned money paid in full Amts thereof. Fee - 28a. D. Mathny, Constable.

December 5, 1848. My fees as constable in full, D. Mathny, Constable.

The above judgement was paid to the plaintiff, and by plaintiff orders and the amount is receipted on the above note.
William Graham, J.P., Washington Township, Franklin County, Ohio.




Providence, Rhode Island

North East, Dutchess County, New York

Jamestown, Green County, Ohio

Dated: August 17th, 1930. Newton J. Dominy, Historian


The name LAWRENCE is of Latin origin, derived from the word Laurus or Laurustins. It has, different meanings by different authorities. One is "flourishing like a bay tree", and another is "crowned with laurel". Both imply the owner was successful.

LAURENCE was most frequently found in ancient times, but it is spelled LAWRENCE at the present time.

In the year 258 A.D. the earliest bearer of the name, there is knowledge of, was living in Rome. Known as Laurentius, called St. Laurence, deacon of Sixtus, Bishop of Rome.

The first to make his home in England was Lawrence the Monk, who was sent to Britain to convert the Islanders to Christianity about 916 A.D. The first ancestor from whom the family can be traced was Sir Robert Lawrence, who accompanied Richard De Lion in the crusade of the Holy Lands.

This Lawrence was the first to plant the banner of the Cross on the battlement of Palestine in 1190. For his service at that time he was knighted by King Richard and granted Ashton Hall in Lancashire, England.

The son of this first Lawrence had a son Robert, who was the father of three sons. One of these, Nicholis, was the father of our JOHN LAWRENCE, progenitor of the Lawrences of Suffolk, England. John of Suffolk died in 1461, leaving to his son THOMAS, his estate in turn passed to John, son of Thomas, in 1471; to Robert, son of John, late in the fifteenth century; and from John, son of Robert, to John's sons Henry, John, William, and Richard in 1556.

JOHN, second son of John, had a son John (the third in direct descent) who was succeeded in 1607 by his oldest son HENRY, whose sons were John and Robert. JOHN, the oldest of the two, came to America with his wife Elizabeth in 1630 and made his home at Watertown, Massachusetts. In 1660 they moved to Groton, Massachusetts, where his first wife died. He then married Susanna Batchelder of Charlestown, Massachusetts.

The descendants of this family are to be found in most every state in the Union although the family still centers in New England. Some members of this family who have distinguished themselves in recent years are: William Lawrence, Protestant Episcopal Bishop of Massachusetts, 1850. William Lawrence, Politician of Ohio, 1818 to 1899. William Lawrence, Jurist of New York, 1800 to 1881, 81 years.

The most ancient Coat-of-Arms given the Lawrence family was bestowed upon Sir Robert Lawrence in 1911. IT IS: ARMS.-- "Argent, a cross raguly gules."

There have been variations of these bearings, used by different branches of the family, the most important as follows:

ARMS.--"Ermine a cross raguly gules in the 1st and 4th quarters, a serpent nowed proper." CREST.--"A gryphon's head couped argent, in front thereof a serpent nowed proper." MOTTO. --"Hente et labore."

Among the many CRESTS used, the original arms of Lawrence are "A demi turbot, tail inverted and erect", "Two laurel branches vert, forming a chaplet", and "A wolf's head, couped, proper."

("Arms taken from Burk's General Armory", 1859.)

The Lawrence family are of English origin, on facts well founded, were parties to, taking quite a part in the Crusade against Palestine from the eleventh to the thirteenth centuries in ITS conquest. Our real line begins in this country, and the brief story is as follows:

FIRST GENERATION:- or second in line.

LAWRENCE, HENRY, Born?. Died?. MARRIED: To (Christian name not given. )

CHILDREN: JOHN was the only child mentioned. RESIDENT: Charlestown, Massachusetts. In 1635 he obtained possession of a land grant.

SECOND GENERATION: - or third in line.

LAWRENCE, JOHN, Born?. Died?. MARRIED: Date?. First to ELIZABETH. (only mentioned) Born?. Died in 1660. SECOND MARRIAGE: Date?. to SUSANNAH BATCHELDER, Born?. Died?. HIS CHILDREN: They had eight, of which DAVID and WILLIAM, the youngest mentioned. RESIDENT: Charlestown, Massachusetts.

THIRD GENERATION: - or fourth in line.

LAWRENCE, WILLIAM, Born ?. Died June 1720. MARRIED: TO SARAH WHITMORE LAWRENCE. (Widow). Born ?. Died ?. CHILDREN: URIAH, the only child mentioned. RESIDENT: Charlestown, Mass., later removed to Providence, Rhode Islandi where she died. He married the widow of his brother DAVID, who died without issue. On December 25, 1720, following his death, his widow gave birth to a son, URIAH.

The Register of Deeds at Providence, Rhode Island, where it is recorded on June 20, 1720. Also his wife's will is recorded, in it she mentions her only son Uriah.

FOURTH GENERATION:- or fifth in line (who spelled his name both ways.)

LAWRENCE, URIAH. Born December 25, 1720. Died ?. MARRIED: April 13, 1745 to MARY CLARK, Born?. Died?. CHILDREN: They had twelve, of whom CHANCY was only mentioned. RESIDENT: Providence, Rhode Island, removed to North East, Dutchess County, New York. A partial copy of the Records of Deeds showing where he secured possession to his farm. In the Records of Wills, dated September 1, 1759, URIAH mentioned his son CHAUNCY, father of our ancestress, POLLY CLARK LAWRENCE - BARLOW.

MILITARY RECORDS: Service, Dutchess County Militia (Land Bounty Rights), Sixth Regiment, Captain Barlow, Commanding. "New York in the Revolutionary War," Page 249.

General History of Dutchess County, from 1609 to 1876, inclusive, by Phillip N. Smith, Pawling, New York, 1877. On page 244, occurs the following:

"The Lawrence family descended from Uriah. The old gentleman was a justice of the Peace. A man was brought before him and fined for swearing. He paid his fine, but continued to swear, and the penalty was again imposed, and was promptly paid. This was repeated until his friends took him away from before the magistrate.

"Before the outbreak of the Revolutionary War, he canvassed the town to see how many would pledge to maintain the Colonies. It was a dangerous thing to do, and for it he has been declared a Revolutionary Hero. His descendants are entitled to membership in the Sons and the Daughters of American Revolution."

History of Little Nine Partners of North East Precinct and Pine Plains, New York, Dutchess County, by Issac Huntting, Printers Charles H. Walsh & Company, Amenia, New York, 1897.

On page 44, occurs the following on the Revolutionary War. URIAH LAWRENCE in the extreme east end of the Precinct, reports as signers, (The Association Pledge,): "Seth Case, Jun. Benini Welldain, Charles Graham, Ichabod Case, Luther Hawley, John Bull, Benjamine Eggleson, Josiah Hawley, DAVID LAWRENCE, Abraham Hartwell, Joseph Randell, URIAH LAWRENCE, Phillip Spencer, Elisha Colver, John Porter, Samuel Neeley, Samuel Row, Seth Case, David Harvey, Thomas Merritt, James Wagner, Stephen Truesdel, JONATHAN LAWRENCE, Ebeneser Hartwell, Seth Perry, Ebeneser King, Gilbert Clapp, Jeremiah Brownell, James Atwater, Archabel Johnson, Joseph Peck, Josiah Hamblin, Simon Darkin, Stephen Merritt, Adam Stevens, Alexander McMullen, John Buttolph, Thomas Knapp. Refusing to sign: Danfel Buttolph, Peter Knapp, John Hawley. Uriah Lawrence, Committee. History of Dutchess County, New York. By Frank Hasbrough, 1909, page 387. List of Supervisors, 1783, Uriah Lawrence.

FIFTH GENERATION:-or sixth in line. 

LAWRENCE, CHAUNCY, Born September 25, 1767. Died August 24, 1843, age 76 years.  MARRIED: November 30, 1786 to SALLY HALL CLARK, Born September, 1769. Died August 5, 1856, age 87 years. CHILDREN: This family consisted of thirteen or fourteen children, of which I have only been able to obtain the following Christian names. DE TUNE, Born in 1790. Died July 16, 1814, age 24 years. POLLY CLARK, Born April 9, 1795. Died June 25, 1866. Married Edmond Barlow. WILLIAM C., Born September 3, 1808. Died February 18, 1809, age 3 months, and 15 days. THOMAS B., Born April 19, 1801. Died July 2, 1801, age 2 months and 23 days. MILO H., Born February 20, 1811. Died February 20, 1836, age 25 years. Married?.

RESIDENT: North East, Dutchess County, New York, where they lived until all but their youngest child was born They moved to Ohio in 1820, settling near Jamestown, in Green County, Ohio.

Of his marriage to Sally Hall Clark, whether or not she was of the same family as his mother, it is not definitely known.



The name BARLOW, having been adopted by a family living in Barlow Moor, near Manchester, England, or in the parish known as Barlow, County, Darby.

The name is found in the form of BARLOWE, and BARLEIE. The Barlows ancestors are believed to have been of the ancient Norman family who were powerful and prolific, and connected by blood ties with the family of William the Conqueror, who followed their mighty relatives to England, and received large land estates.

Of this ancient family, many enjoyed the honor of Knighthood, and others inter-married in great English families. There is mentioned in Doomesday Book of one Barleie, a Sir Simon de Barley who received as his service to William the Conqueror at the Battle of Hastings (1066), the Manor of Enflete in Darby Shire, England. Sir Robert de Barlow was the owner of Barlow Hall, an estate five miles from Manchester, during the reign of Edward I.

Before 1550, a John Barlow married the daughter of Edward Barley, and had issue by her of Thomas, John, William, Roger, Elizabeth. Of the children, Thomas became a Priest; Roger was employed by Charles V of Spain to explore Peru; Elizabeth became the maid-of-honor to Mary, Queen of Scots, and married Lord Elphington; William became one of the first Protestant Bishops of England and had several sons and five daughters, all whom married bishops.

It is not known definitely from which line in England the first emigrants to America were descended, but it is generally believed they were from the Manchester branch of Barlows. One of the families in New England was George Barlow, who some authorities believe, was the son of William Barlow referred to above. "I am personally acquainted with the Wing family of Dublin, Ohio, who are direct descendants of the WING family of New England, who were among the  founders of the Plymouth Rock Colony in 1620." I find the following: that, AARON, son of the emigrant George, married Beulah Wing and had four children, Elizabeth, Shubael, Mary, and Nathan. It is recorded in the Massachusetts annuals he was a Representative in the Legislature about 1690.

The next of the family who came to America was EDWARD BARLOW of Malden,who married Mary Pemberton about 1660, and had children whose names have not been preserved.

There is also another branch of Barlow in the Colony of Virginia. Unfortunately many of their records have been destroyed, so they cannot be traced as other branches of the family.

The Barlows in America became a very large prolific family and took their share in the early settlement of the Country, especially of New England by 1640.

At the time of the Revolutionary War, a great many bearers of this name served in the war, the most prominent were: Ensign John and Lieutenant Edmond, both of Massachusetts.

Members of this fine family have aided as much in the growth of the United States as did their ancestors in laying the founding of the Nation. Among the many Barlows who have achieved distinction, one deserves special mention. He is Joel Barlow, a great-great-grand-son of emigrant George, born in 1794, who won renown in the field of Poetry, Politics, and Diplomacy. He was agraduate of Dartmouth and Yale, and at an early age wrote "Hasty Pudding", and "Columbiad", practiced law for some time, became a Congregational Minister, and served in the Revolutionary War in that capacity.

As a great friend of Thomas Payne, he became interested in world politics, and was appointed by President Washington to the Consulate of Algiers, later he became Ambassador of the United States and Minister Plenipotentiary to France. He died in 1812.

This family has been noted for their courage, energy, uprightness, and patriotism.

There are several Coat-of-Arms of the Barlows, but the most important is the one of Barlow Hall. It is described as follows: TO WIT. ARMS! - "Sable, an eagle displayed argent, membered or standing on the limb of a tree, reguled and trunked of the Second."

The above data was compiled from the following: - BURKE, "Encyclopaedia of Heraldry", 1851. SAVAGES, "Genealogical Dictionary of First New England Settlers", 1860. "HILL GENEALOGY", 1879. HEITMAN, "Officers of the Continental Army", 1893. "MASSACHUSETTS Soldiers and Sailors in the Revolutionary War", 1896. BARLOW, "Published Matter and Records relating to the families of the name of Barlow", 1911. BRADLEY, "Dictionary of English and Welch surnames."

SIXTH GENERATION: - or seventh in line.

BARLOW, EDMUND WARD, Born June 8, 1786. Died July 31, 1865, age 79 years. MARRIED: in 1814, to POLLY CLARK LAWRENCE, Born April 9, 1795. Died June 25, 1866, age 71 years. CHILDREN: ELECTA, Born January 8, 1816. Died February 19, 1836, age 20 years. Married John King, HARRIETT, Born February 13, 1818. Married HENRY DOMINY (4). JOHN, Born August 28, 1819. Died April 20, 1880, age 61 years. Married ?. SARAH ANN, Born July 4, 1821. Died December 13, 1821, age 5 months. POLLY ANN, Born December 20, 1822. Died January 23, 1846. Married ALVIN DOMINY. SALLY CLARK, Born September 5, 1824. Died February 22, 1855, age 31 years. Married a Mr. McCune. CHAUNCEY LAWRENCE, Born March 26, 1862. Died ?. HORACE and LAWRENCE, Twins, Born January 27, 1828. HORACE, Died February 8, 1850, age 22 years. LAWRENCE, Died ?. ANNA, Born February 14, 1830. Died?. Married Doctor McCune. MILLA, Born December 1, 1831. Died ?. Married ?. LORETTA, Born April 27, 1833. Died March 17, 1869, age 36 years. Married?. EDMOND WHITNEY. Born March 6, 1835. Died in Urbana, Ohio. First married?. Second marriage ?. CLARK LAWRENCE, Born November 5, 1837. Died about 1930, age 93 years. Married a Miss Ewing. LYDIA ANN, Born March 7, 1839. Died June 15, 1880, age 59 years. Married, Alexander McCullough.

RESIDENT:- North East, Dutchess County, New York, moved to Jamestown, Greene Countv, Ohio, removed to Pleasant Valley (now Plain City), Madison County, Ohio.

Edmond and Polly Clark (Lawrence) Barlow, are natives of Massachusetts and Connecticut, and later North Fast, Dutchess County, New York, and both are of English descent.

They emigrated to Greene County, Ohio, when her parents did in 1820, removing to Madison County, Ohio in 1852. He was a carpenter by trade until moving to Ohio, then followed farming until his death in 1863.

He was a soldier in the War of 1812, served as a Major of a Regiment of Militia, was ordered to New Orleans, fought there under General Jackson in the battle of New Orleans, which .broke the British hold on Louisiana, and gave us the right to purchase this vast Territory from France, stretching from the Gulf of Mexico, west of the Mississippi River, north to Canada, and west to the Pacific Ocean. 


FIFTH GENERATION: -or sixth in line.

DOMINY, HENRY (4), Born November 16, 1813. Died February 8, 1905, age 92 years. MARRIED; December 18, 1834 to HARRIET BARLOW, Born February 13, 1818. Died March 4, 1898, age 80 years. CHILDREN:- ABAGAIL, Born November 23, 1835. Died March 24, 1855, age 20 years. EDMOND, Born June 25, 1839. Died in 1888. Married Loretta Duglass. POLLY ANN, Born February 14, 1840. Died October 31, 1912. Married Henry W. Wright, widower. JEREMIAH (2), Born October 17, 1841. Died June 18, 1921. Married Eleanor Sager. AMANDA, Born July 28, 1844. Died March 15, 1918. Married Martin Luther Mathias. EZRA, Born November 23, 1847. Died March 7, 1902. Married Anna M. Ferris. HORACE, Born December 19, 1849. Died November 19, 1932. Married Callie May Mock. HARRIET E., Born March 9, 1858. Died March 21, 1858, age 12 days. WILLIAM H., Born September 26, 1859. Died June 4, 1934. Married first to Mary Emma Neff. Second marriage to Edith Houchard, widow. Third marriage to Mynerva Fickle, widow.

RESIDENT:- Darby and Canaan Townships, Madison County, Amity, Ohio. Removed to Washington Township, Franklin County, Hilliards, Ohio.

Seldom can one find a person who has reached the advance age of Henry (4), who was yet actively connected with business affairs, but although ninety-two past when he died, he was still interested in farming. Such a record should put to shame many a man of younger years, who grew weary of the trials and struggles of life and would relegate to others the burdens he should bear.

He was born in Madison County, Darby Township, Ohio. His grand-father Henry (1), removed from Suffolk County, Long Island, to Beekmantown, Clinton County, New York, and spent his remaining days in the Empire State.

His father Jeremiah (1), was born at Dominy's Point, Three Mile Harbor, East Hampton, Suffolk County, Long Island, New York and moved with his parents to northern New York. After his marriage to Abagail Norton, he and his wife and her parents removed westward to Ohio in 1811.

Henry (4) was reared on the frontier where there were Indians, and many wild animals, where conditions existed that can scarcely be realized by the people of today. Land was in a primitive condition, forest uncut, and fields undeveloped.

His boyhood days were spent in aiding to clear and improve the farm. At fourteen years of age, he would travel some thirty miles to the mill under all weather conditions. On this trip he would take the neighborhood grist, by ox-team to Warrensburg on the Scioto river, and in later years he would go to Sager's mill on Big Darby Creek north of Pleasant Valley, (now Plain City).

Occasionally when the people of the neighborhood could raise money, a teacher would be employed, and school would be held in some abandoned log shanty.

His first school was attended in a log stable made over. His first teacher was Aaron Martin a man of good education for those days. The school room was seated with slab benches by boring holes in the punching floor over the sills with pins driven in to hold the slab seats thereon; while the writing desks were made by boring holes in the logs of the walls and driving pins in to hold the slabs thereon. The chalk they used was made from charcoal of the burnt logs from the fire-place, which served to keep the children warm. The logs were white-washed so the children could see to read the letters and figures made by them.

The teachers were ill-paid in those days, as money was not so very plentiful. Since the teacher's salary was rather limited, the teacher roomed with each scholar's parents about a week. From this little narrative you can judge for yourselves what education means to us today if we care to take advantage of the opportunity given us.

At this time, I thought it would be nice to let the future generation in on some of his pioneer experiences. In his boy-hood days, he was a drover, as they were called, as they had no other way of getting their stock to market.

He came into Dublin on the old Post Road (known then as the Stage Coach Line) to the Scioto River, then south on Lower Street to the fork where he crossed the river. If with cattle, he went east over the Coach Line to Newark, Ohio for delivery, but hogs were his principal delivery. From Dublin, he followed the old Indian trail south to Franklinton and Columbus, then over the trail to Chillicothe, Ohio for delivery.

Passing through Columbus the hogs were driven down what is known as Canal Street. Here, where the breweries and distilleries are located, the hogs being hungry, having no food or water to drink, would fill up on mash and soon became drunk, lying down as he would say "for a quiet and peaceful snooze". This meant camping until sobering up, before the journey could be renewed.

Just a mile west of Dublin, was the Hinkley House or Tavern. They all had corels or stys for keeping the travelers'cattle, hogs, and horses in.

He often related about one wintery day arriving there in the late evening with his hogs, he put them in the sty and went into the tavern which was over-flowing with travelers.

He was met by Hinkley who stated! "I've no place for you, tonight, Hen". He answered "I'm staying, hogs styed, I can sleep on the floor in front of the fire-place and keep the fire burning".

Hinkley said, "I've got no meat or groceries. They have ate me clean out. Got to go to town to get something for breakfast". So Grand-dad said, "Well, we'll have meat for breakfast, kill a hog. You have the boys get the kettles, make a fire and have the water boiling. When you get back from town, we'll kill the hog".

About ten o'clock, Hinkley came back, groceries in one end of a grain sack and two gallon of whiskey in the other (there was a distillery across the river at Dublin) over the shoulders of the old Bay mare. He was walking - holding to reins and bag so it couldn't fall off.

They went to the sty, killed the hog, and by eleven o'clock had the dressed pork hung up in the yard for breakfast. When morning came, they found that the travelers' dogs had eaten off one end of the pork, so they ace off the other end for breakfast.

On his return trips back, he would stay at Sell's Black Horse Tavern on Lower Street. He related that one evening he was in the dining room, having just finished his supper, when Sells entered from the bar room saying. "Hen, snuff and light that thare candle on the mantle and come with me". Grand-dad answered, "you're not going to get me into trouble". "No Sir, they'll not bother us - have a couple that have got to settle a little grievance".

Grand-dad related that they went out into the road in front of the tavern. Sells took his boot toe and made a mark across the road. He and Grand-dad took posts on each side of the mark with the candles. Out from the bar room came two men, took off their coats, stepped up toe to toe to the mark and went at it hammer and tong (as they would say) for about one hour. Finally they got up satisfied, shook hands, walked back together to the bar room, cleaned up, took drinks, and retired in the same bed.

He related these and other stories to me time and again when he visited us in Dublin; He was delighted to talk over old times with such men as Squire Tuller and Riley, Coffman the grocer, Eberly the tinner, and always before he would leave, he would look up his old friend Doctor Eli M. Pinney.

He remained at home till his marriage to Harriett Barlow in 1834, took up his abode in the county of his birth until 1864, when he sold hisfarm and purchased 120 acres, the Kidwell farm, in Washington Township, Franklin County, Ohio. Later he bought an additional 120 acres, the Elrick farm, where he actively engaged in farming. Although he passed his ninetieth mile stone in life's journey, he superintended the management of his property.

His devoted wife traveled life's journey by his side for 63 yea's, and was then called to her final rest. She was a devoted Christian woman. For half a century he and his wife were active members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.

In his early life he was a Whig, and in 1840 voted for William Henry Harrison. During that campaign, he and forty others rode to Urbana, Ohio on horse-back to hear Harrison speak.

His company then campaigned the State with a crude "Log Cabin" built upon a wagon, pulled by four white horses, bearing the slogan: "Harrison of Tippecanoe and Tyler Too". This cabin became covered with Coon skins, as every place they went skins were tacked on. The old door had a latch string hanging out, giving it the appearance of "Old Frontier Days". There was a hardy pioneer standing beside the door with his long rifle in hand.

Since the organization of the Republican party, he was one of its stalwart supporters.

He fully believed in the principles, that all men were created equal, with these adhered to - our Democratic form of Government, shall long be looked up to - that, those brave lads of "Lexington and Concord" shall not have died in vain.

He had an excellent memory and was a good conversationalist in relating many interesting incidents of his early life on the wild frontier, as this and future generations can not realize the hardships they endured that we may live in peace and contentment.

Just a pleasant memory a few years will say, foron the 18th day of December 1884 a golden wedding anniversary was held - quite a rare occasion at that time.

This was to commemorate the marriage of HENRY DOMINY (4) to HARRIETT (BARLOW) DOMINY, with their country home as the scene of this occasion. The doors of their home were thrown open to all, who cared to come, from 10 o'clock A.M. to 6 o'clock P.M.

The reception was held in the large living and parlor rooms, being heated by a double fire-place crackling fire - from red beech, hickory, and sugar tree logs, which filled the rooms with sweet smelling aroma from the burning wood.

Not to be out-done - in the frame home, was the large kitchen-dining room, with its mammoth fireplace in the end, with two large cranes with kettles thereon, and a crackling fire.

This kitchen-dining room was attached to the south side of the two story frame home. This room was 20' x 28' and was used only on special occasions such as this, the harvest season, and the coming home of the family, or when the Mother had her boiled dinners of ham-hocks, sow-belly, with potatoes, turnips, and cabbage, from the cranes in the fire-place, which I have eaten and enjoyed many a time . "You younger generations do not realize the dainties you have





  DECEMBER 18, 1884 missed" in your Great-great-grand-mother's home.

In the center of the floor for use was the large table four feet wide and eighteen feet long. When not in use it was pushed back against the side walls.

Out to the back was the large smoke-house where the home dressed pork and beef were cured and kept for the family needs.

I have seen hanging from the ceiling in front of the fire-place - home cured dried beef, ready for use at any time.

OH! Boy, it was good - when we boys and girls would slip out - mount a chair and cut us off a hunk, then "Ske-daddle" so as rot to be caught!

I will try now to describe this golden wedding dinner, as served to each and everyone who came to this festivity. Preparations for the dinner was by the family of those days.

The guests came from miles around, to participate in this affair. The table groaned under home dressed: roast beef, roast leg of mutton, baked ham, turkey, chicken, stewed and fried, cakes that would make your mouth water, pies that would keep you dreaming for a week. OH! that bread baked in the Old Dutch oven, and in the old Wood stove. Lovely spring house and cellar butter, cheeses, jellies, jams and preserves of all kinds - all these graced this table.

Now comes the celebrated wedding cake, baked for this occasion by George Eger, a German master baker at that time for Amanda Dominy Machias, "their Daughter".


The first layer was 14" x 16" x 2". The second layer was 12" x 14" x 2". Third layer was 10" x 12" x 2 ". The fourth layer was 8" x 10" x 2 ". The fifth layer was 6" x 8" x 2 ". The top decoration was a Bride and Groom, made from china heads and the bodies from white plaster Paris, dressed in wedding clothes for this occasion.

The cake was garnished in white frosting from top to bottom; starting on top of the bottom layer, and entwining around each layer a wreath of pink and white rose buds with green leaves, until it reached the top - to the arms of the bride, a corsage of pink buds.

This cake graced the center of the table, and was envied by all - who just could hardly wait till cut. The cutting ceremony took place at the close of the dinner. About 4:30 o'clock P.M. after a short wedding ceremony by their Pastor, the bride cut the cake - a great surprise to all - a nice little trick played by their son-in-law, Luther Mathias; for this beautiful cake when cut was made of yellow corn meal - a momento to the occasion. It was enjoyed by all, possessing the delicate flavor which our ancestors so dearly loved.

For each and every year thereafter, it was a family affair to meet and celebrate their wedding anniversary, which continued until the grim reaper came and took his devoted companion and wife, who had traveled life's journey with him for sixty-three years. He enjoyed the hospitality of his children coming to see him through his golden age until taken by death at ninety-two years young.